Cotswold Cottage Recipes
New Zealand Pavlova - Cotswold Favourite
A favourite with all our guests, its crunchy meringue outside and marshmallow centre make the perfect combination. Make the day before for dinner parties and store in an air tight container then top with seasonal fruit and Chantilly Cream on the day.
INGREDIENTS:3 egg whites
1 cup of castor sugar
3 tbsp water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease an 8" spring form cake tin and line it with parchment paper sprinkled with a little water tip out water so a little clings to the paper.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Add the water and beat again, then fold in cornflour and salt, then vanilla and vinegar.
- Pour meringue mixture onto the center of the cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Then in an electric oven turn off the stove and leave the Pavlova in it for 1 hour.
- In a gas oven turn to the lowest setting and cook about 1 hour.
- Turn onto plate and top with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
Use the egg yolks to make a lemon topping for the pavlova its great as a change from fruit.
Chantilly cream is whipped cream flavoured with brandy or vanilla and a little icing sugar to taste.